Serves 4 - 6
12 mushroom heads (remove stems)
- Beef cut into 12 cubes (do not use stewing beef)
- 12 Rashers of bacon
- Sprigs of thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
Mix oil, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Marinade beef cubes in oil for a few hours.
- Saute mushrooms very gently in a little oil or butter, only for a minute.
- Remove mushrooms without breaking them, and set aside.
- Add oil to pan and increase the heat.
- Fry beef cubes lightly in hot pan.
- Roll beef cubes, mushrooms, and a sprig of thyme in each rasher of bacon.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Grill in oven until bacon is fairly crisp.
Serve with fried onion rings or serve as snacks on a platter.
Recipe created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa