- 1 (20 oz.) package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 large shallot or 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 oz. butter (roughly 3 tablespoons)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in cubes
- 8 oz. (2 cups) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 8 fresh sage leaves, cut into thin strips, or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, or Monterey Jack
- Sprinkling freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 X 9-inch pan.
- Saute garlic in butter over medium heat.
- Brown chicken cubes for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and onions. Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and the chicken is done.
- Add sage, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken mixture and stir in. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, a little at a time. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Mix in sour cream and stir well.
- Stir in the uncooked tortellini.
- Pour the chicken and tortellini mixture into the prepared greased pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered with foil, for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Garnish with parsley, nutmeg and walnuts.