Chicken and Mushroom Kebabs
Chicken and Mushroom Kebabs [Makes 4 skewers]
- Use about 4 ounces of Italian Oyster Mushrooms
- ½ cup cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- A few small onion rings
- A few slices of green/orange/red peppers
- 4 skewers
Mix ingredients for the marinade:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
How To Make Chicken and Mushroom Kebabs:
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together, beating vigorously. If you use a food processor, add a small handful of parsley or a sprinkling of thyme to the marinade. Mix till smooth. Alternatively, add finely chopped parsley or thyme to the marinade or sprinkle over skewers when done.
- Rinse your mushrooms and pat dry.
- Place the mushroom in a medium ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Shake the bag until all of the mushrooms are covered. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes to allow mushrooms to marinate.
- Place 4 medium skewers into a dish and cover with water. It’s important to soak the skewers for about 30 minutes or they will burn too quickly on the grill. The skewers can soak while the mushrooms marinate.
- Preheat the grill to about 300 Fahrenheit.
- Skewer the mushrooms, chicken cubes, onions and peppers tightly onto the soaked bamboo/wooden skewers – no need to dry them. TIP: twist mushrooms gently on to the stick instead of pushing the stick through. This will help avoid the mushroom to break up.
- Grill the mushrooms for about 3 minutes per side. Be careful not to let the mushrooms stick to the grill.
- If you want to add a little pizazz, sprinkle a litte paprika or fresh parsley/ pinch of thyme over the kebabs before serving.
Serve with lettuce and accompanying skewers of cheese cubes, cherry/garden tomatoes, cucumber chunks.
Recipes created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa