Serves 4 – 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium leek, chopped (about 1-½ cups)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large, peeled, boiled potato, chopped into pieces
- Optional add-ins: bacon bits, small bits of carrots
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Brown chicken breasts.
- Add marjoram, thyme, salt, and black pepper in the pan.
- Turn down the heat, cook chicken until done, and remove from the pan.
- Add butter in the same skillet.
- Saute mushrooms and leeks for about 5 minutes.
- Cook for a further few minutes.
- Mix flour with a little stock till it forms a paste.
- Add ½ cup of the rest of the stock little by little.
- Then add to the mushroom mix.
- While stirring the mix, add the rest of the stock while simmering gently.
- When the sauce is reasonably thick, add the cream, mustard, parmesan cheese.
- Stir in potatoes and chicken.
- Divide mixture into a large pie pan or individual ramekins.
- Cover the chicken mix with a pastry layer.
- Make slits in a large pie, or a thin slit into each small pie.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is done.
Serve with salad.
Recipe created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa