Creamy Mushroom Risotto
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 diced white onion or 1 shallot
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced oyster mushrooms
- ½ cup risotto rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup white wine or ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook on a medium-low heat until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the risotto rice and let it brown a little bit in the pan.
- Heat the stock before adding to the mixture to prevent the pot cooling down.
- Add the heated stock and wine/ vinegar, little bit at a time to allow the liquid to be gradually absorbed.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add more hot water, if necessary.
- Once cooked, stir in a handful of chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with fresh parsley
Recipe created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa