Easy Creamy Mushroom Toast
Easy Creamy Mushroom Toast [Makes 2 servings]
- 2 tablespoons butter (3 cups) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 garlic crushed clove
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (or full-fat milk)
- 2 thick slices country bread, for toasting
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in a flat pan. Add garlic and mushrooms.
- Stir until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper and sauté for a minute more.
- Add sour cream/milk and let mixture simmer 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast bread slices until golden.
- Lightly butter them or smear with cream cheese.
- Spoon the creamy mushrooms onto toasted bread.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
Variation for adults:
- Splash of sherry or Marsala (optional)
- Fry the mushrooms in bacon fat; stirred through a rich, creamy sauce and finished with fresh chives – This is not your regular creamy mushrooms on toast!
Recipes created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa