Serves 4 - 6
- 1 1/2 lbs oyster mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 cup dry red or white wine or ¼ cup sherry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour and ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1-2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2-1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 chicken/beef bouillon cubes, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Bacon bits
- Melt butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté garlic, add onion. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, rosemary and basil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Keep heat at medium heat.
- Add wine/sherry. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix flour and cornstarch with a little stock to make a smooth paste.
- Stir into mushroom mix, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock in a steady stream while stirring. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat again. Season with salt, pepper and optional crumbled chicken/bouillon cubes.
- Simmer with lid on for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally while soup thickens.
- Mix cornstarch with a little water and stir in.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cream or half and half. Simmer gently.
- Garnish with parsley and bacon bits.
- Serve with a side of garlic bread, homemade bread, a side of salad or veggies.
- For a heartier meal, stir in ½ cup of brown or white rice.
Recipes created & tested by Elsa Dixon, Travels with Elsa