Makes 16 Spring Rolls
- ½ cup dried shiitake mushrooms dehydrated (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 1 tbs canola oil
- ¼ cup shredded napa cabbage
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast chopped into pieces (leave off if vegetarian)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded bamboo shoots
- ½ small shredded carrot
- 1 Tbs finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 pk spring roll wrappers
- 1 beaten egg or a little water for sealing the dough
- Heat deep frying pan or wok.
- Stir fry cabbage in canola oil for about a minute.
- Add green onion, garlic and ginger in the peanut oil for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, carrots, and bean sprouts and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chicken, stirring for about 1 minute, or leave out if vegetarian.)
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch, add to mixture and stir to thicken.
- Cook until as dry as possible to avoid rolls to become soggy.
- Remove filling from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Wrap small handful (2 Tbs) of filling in spring roll wrapper.
- Use beaten egg or water to seal the edges.
- Spring rolls may be refrigerated or frozen at this point for later cooking.
- Heat oil to 325F.
- Deep fry spring rolls for 2 minutes till golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper kitchen towels.
A variety of options for dipping the Spring Rolls include
Dipping sauces, sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce, hot mustard, soy sauce OR
Serve with Fried Rice and Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
OR Dim Sum