Serves 4 - 6
- 1 cup long-grained rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 red, green, or yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp sage
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley and some for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp almonds, half for stirring in and half for garnishing
- Salt and pepper taste
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 cups stock for 15 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms and chop, keeping the stock.
- Saute garlic, onion and peppers in heated oil. Add mushrooms.
- Add rice. Stir once and add stock, rosemary, sage, parsley, salt and pepper.
- (Pilaf refers to rice cooked in a stock.)
- Bring to boil, cover and lower heat.
- Simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes till rice has absorbed the stock.
- Stir in almonds and transfer mixture to serving bowl.
Garnish with almonds and parsley.